SYNCSORT and SYNCTOOL: Advanced
|Duration: 2 days|
|Participants: Programmers with experience programming on a mainframe or others with a good understanding of mainframe data storage. This course assumes a basic knowledge of SyncSort, including SORT, MERGE, SUM, INCLUDE, OMIT, INREC and OUTREC statements.|
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Use SyncSort to create sophisticated reports with headers/trailers, subtotals, grand totals, rearranged columns, etc.
- Use SyncSort to manipulate variable-length records.
- Write efficient sorts.
- Use SyncTool to create customized copies of data, reformat data, create reports and statistics, and handle duplicates (separate outputs, counts, splicing).
|Overview: This course gives IT professionals the ability to use the many features of SyncSort for z/OS, a powerful utility that can often be used instead of coding a report program in a programming language. You will learn the advanced SyncSort features, including the reporting options, and the powerful SyncTool features.|
|Prerequisites: Working knowledge of TSO/ISPF and basic JCL, as well as SyncSort SORT and MERGE basics.|
|Format: Lecture and discussion with hands-on exercises.|
- Review of SYNCSORT Basics (Optional)
Basic JCL for SYNCSORT
ICEMAN and ICETOOL
- Advanced JCL for SYNCSORT
EXEC parms, including MAXSORT, PARASORT, DYNALLOC, etc.
Calculating SORTWKXX sizes
Troubleshooting techniques and error messages
- Creating Sophisticated Reports
SORT WRITER report facility
Dates, time, page numbers
ALTSEQ (Alternate Collating Sequences)
- Variable Block Records with SYNCSORT
- Performance Considerations
Sort concepts and how to write more efficient sorts
DD statements and disk work areas
Control statement issues
SORT vs MERGE
Splice duplicates together
Managing multiple outputs
Report statistics (counts, sums, averages, maximum, minimum ranges)
- Advanced and New Features Overview
DB2 Query support