Debug Tool for z/OS
|Duration: 2 days|
|Participants: Application developers, mainframe support staff, and systems programmers.|
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to effectively use the Debug Tool to track and resolve problems in the following situations:
- Batch COBOL abend.
- Batch COBOL loop.
- Batch COBOL logic error.
- CICS COBOL transaction.
- CICS COBOL STARTed task.
- Batch COBOL DB2 error.
- Triggered CICS task, from MQ.
- DB2 Stored Procedures.
- Debug Tool is similar to other debuggers, such as Xpediter, Fault Analyzer.
- You will learn to use the new version of z/OS Debug Tool to debug a wide variety of typical abends in COBOL programs running on a Z/OS mainframe system.
- This course teaches the wide range of commands available in the Debug Tool, including the new commands, and shows you how to effectively debug batch COBOL programs, CICS COBOL programs, and DB2 COBOL programs.
- You will learn to debug a variety of actual abends and program failures in this extensively hands-on course.
|Prerequisites: Knowledge of COBOL programming. For DB2 and CICS debugging, also require knowledge of DB2 and CICS programming|
|Setup: Site must have TSO logons with Debug Tool properly configured. Each student needs a PC or terminal with mainframe access.|
|Format: Lecture and discussion with extensive hands-on exercises.|
What is the debugger
Ways of using the debugger: batch, interactive, remote
- Getting Ready to Use the Debug Tool
Compile options needed
Source file storage
Overview of Debug Commands: Format and sampling
Debug Command Files
How to start the Debugger – TEST runtime option
How to Stop the Debugger – QUIT vs. QQUIT
Full screen display layout
Debugging on two user sessions
- Debugging Batch COBOL Programs
Basic operations in the Full screen session panel
General usage notes: scrolling, PFkeys, Find, etc.
Using Debug Commands
Source File Selection
Running, stopping and controlling execution flow in the program
Executing your program with run, step, and animation
Positioning at error causing location: GO, LIST %LINE
AT command usage
Monitoring and manipulating variables
Special features just for COBOL
LIST options to show CALLS, etc.
Writing debugging scripts
General purpose scripts for reuse
Conditional command processing: EVALUATE, IF, PERFORM
Using the customized debugging scripts at your site
New features in Debug Tool
Saving settings, breakpoints and monitors, with QUERY SAVE, QUERY RESTORE, RESTORE, SET SAVE, SET RESTORE
New JUMPTO command
Enhanced commands including AT ENTRY, FIND, LOAD, etc.
- Debugging CICS and WS MQ programs
CICS environment setup considerations
Saving Preferences in CICS pseudo-conversational programming environments
Debug modes for CICS
Starting and stopping debug in CICS
Special considerations while processing through CICS applications
- Debugging DB2 programs and Stored Procedures
System and setup requirements
Using the Debug Tool Setup Utility
Starting and stopping Debug Tool for DB2 programs
Accessing DB2 return codes and message code variables