Batch Java for COBOL Programmers
This series of courses is designed to teach IBM Batch Java to experienced COBOL programmers. It builds on the knowledge and experience of COBOL programmers, and highlights differences that may be confusing. (As a simple example, the verb “CONTINUE” has a different meaning in Java versus COBOL).
Additional, optional topics include web development, which can replace CICS front-end processing. For learning “batch” Java, the emphasis will be on file I/O rather than interacting with the user.
IBM’s most recent update for Java, as of November 27, 2019, is Java SDK8 – version 220.127.116.11. This IBM release is fully compatible with Oracle’s Java version 8, although Oracle has delivered many more releases after its Java 8.
Because this course is for experienced COBOL programmers, participants will have lots of practice converting COBOL statements into Java code, and COBOL data into Java data.
This course teaches you to program in Each course in this series has a suggested duration. Durations can be lengthened by adding extensive case studies (generally 4 to 5 day each, and often ending with a presentation to the students’ team leads and other management). Durations can be shortened, by eliminating topics or by presenting topics with less in-depth coverage. Eliminating workshops is not recommended.
|Format: Lecture with extensive hands-on workshops to reinforce the lecture material.|
- IDz for Stand-alone development (1 day). IDz practice is integrated into each course.
- Java for COBOL Programmers part 1 (5 days)
- JUnit Testing and TDD (2 days)
- Debugging Java in IDz (1 day)
- Java for COBOL Programmers part 2 (5 days)
- Java for COBOL Programmers part 3 (5 days)
- Java for COBOL Programmers Special Topics (1 to 10 days)
- Running Batch Java in USS (5 days)
- Deployment with Endevor (length depends on client requirements)
Optional Additional Courses:
- JSPs and JSTL
- IDz Advanced Topics (2 to 8 days)
|For a detailed outline of this course view (and print) the pdf outline above.|
Mainframe Courses - COBOL List Site Map Home